Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Apple Time!

Jerry and I went to the Farmer's Market last night. Oh, it's apple time!! Both of us LOVE apples, and we especially like the ones that are freshly picked. There's nothing like a good honeycrisp! I wanted to share a recipe with you that I have already tried and really like. It's from Gooseberry Patch, and it will surely get your house smelling like fall!


Spiced Applesauce
(This recipe is from their new cookbook, Autumn with Family and Friends)

8 Golden Delicious apples, cored, peeled and cubed
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. water
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker; stir to mix. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours. When done, stir with a wooden spoon. Gently crush applesauce against side of slow cooker to desired consistency. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

I'll tell you what I've done to the recipe differently. (I don't know if I've followed a recipe to the "t"!) I used Honey Crisp apples because they are our favorite. They are like "apple gold" but this is the only time we can get fresh ones at such a reasonable price. I also don't peel my apples. There are precious antioxidants in that peel and they are rich in phytonutrients. My pumpkin pie spice is always a mounding teaspoon. Those are such rich flavors - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. From now through the winter, I add this spice to many things. (It's going on my squash for dinner rather than heavy maple syrup...)

Enjoy the recipe and let me know if you try it! I'd love to hear what you think!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds just delicious! I will have to give it a try this weekend. My daddy has an orchard, it produced abundently last year, but very little harvest this year. I love anything with yummy pumpking pie spice in it!
Thanks for sharing....
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Michelle H. said...

Thanks for reminding me of another reason I love fall--apples!

The recipe sounds great. I'll have to try it sometime. I should send you my fruit crisp recipe--it's out-of-this-world nummy! :)

Unknown said...

Yum! I'm going to have to try it! I just got some apples from a local orchard down the street. Perfect timing.

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...