Monday, August 16, 2010

Pico de Gallo, Anyone?


We went to the Minneapolis Farmer's Market yesterday and had such a good time again!  It is the biggest market I have ever visited.  And Shane lives near there, so we always pick him up and get to spend some time with the kiddo!  Yesterday we were on a mission to pick up Pico de Gallo supplies.  We love this  - and eat this on many things.  I wanted to share the recipe so that you can give it a whirl!

1-1/2 c. seeded tomato, chopped
1/4 c. red onion, chopped
2 fresh jalapenos, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
juice of 2 limes
2 T. fresh cilantro

Mix together and enjoy!!  I have to give you a couple of hints.  What kind of cook would I be if I didn't share hints?  I don't seed my tomatoes - I use firm ripe Romas.  They are perfect for this, I think.  Also red onion makes a difference.  Your spice is going to depend on the whether or not you leave seeds from the jalapenos.  We are "hot" people, so we leave the seeds!

Now if you want some fresh guacamole to go along with it, here is the recipe I use:

2 avacados, pitted and mashed
1/2 cup red onion, chopped fine
1 jalepeno
2 T. cilantro
1 T. lime juice
1 tomato, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, minced

Jerry absolutely loves this.  We use these recipes with eggs, on brown rice with black beans (that's really healthy!), and with baked potatoes.  Both of these recipes are yummy!

Now that I've given you a recipe (sorry, no artwork - I worked today), I'm going to remind you about my blog candy.  Click on the picture on my right sidebar and it will take you right to it.  I see that I am getting close to 200 followers - WOW!  Should that happen by September 1st, I am going to add another prize package!!  Tell your friends!!

5 comments:

Dawnll said...

I just ate dinner and now i am hungry again. Love the recipes and love to add them to my favorites, yes we are hot people to...love these on breakfast foods also. My honey is allergic to gauc so I have to make when he is out of the house, he really loves it to.

Unknown said...

Sounds so yummy! I know that my honeybee would love it!!!! I'll have to make it for him when he comes home! Thanks for sharing, sweet friend!
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Kathy said...

Yum...my vegetarian daughter will thank you when she comes home from LA next week and I have these yummy treats for her!!

Jamie Harder said...

That looks delicious!!! I am so going to make this...THANKS!!!

Debbie said...

Yummy looks good!

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...