Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How do You Define Integrity?

You know, there is so much that goes on in our world. Political views, religious views, and social views sure do vary from person to person. Even within the same family! I was curious about this word "integrity," so I look it up in Webster's Dictionary - "uprightness of character; honesty." So basically, if we hold on to our morals and values - no matter the cost - I believe we have integrity.

Integrity seems to be something very rare in today's society, and I think it's because integrity is not too popular. If there is a child/person being bullied (especially by a popular kid), it is easier to stand on the side of the bully. There are more people over there, and it seems like a much stronger fighting ring!!

But let me tell you about some people that I think have integrity:
  • People who are not afraid to tell the truth - even when it's scary.
  • People who are not afraid to be judged by their values even when they are being judged for having those values.
  • People who are not afraid to really live who they are.
  • People who are not afraid to separate themselves from the negative in life knowing that there is so much positive!!

Truth be told, I think that so many people are on their guard, they wouldn't even recognize that person with integrity in their life. And what's more, they could never believe that person is the one being true. Isn't that sad? We need to trust more, talk about people much less, and care for each more. This is a big world with loads of good. I'll close with a poem by Edgar Guest:

I have to live with myself, and so

I want to be fit for myself to know,

I want to be able, as days go by,

Always to look myself straight in the eye;

I don't want to stand, with the setting sun,

And hate myself for the things I have done.

I don't want to keep on a closet shelf

A lot of secrets about myself,

And fool myself, as I come and go,

Into thinking that nobody else will know

The kind of man I really am;

I don't want to dress up myself in a sham.

I wnat to go out with head erect,

I want to deserve all men's respect;

But here in the struggle for fame and pelf

I want to be alble to look at myself.

I dont' want to loo at myself and know

That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.

I can never hide myself from me;

I see what others may never see;

I know what others may never know,

I never can fool myself myself, and so,

Whatever happens, I want to be

Self-respecting and conscience-free.

No comments:

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...