Saturday, November 20, 2010

Better Living Through Scrapbooking

Here are the details for this week's challenge at Better Living Through Scrapbooking.  I've highlighted the options I've used in red:

“Family Tradition” challenge - Create a layout about a family tradition, event, or something your family regularly does together that is not holiday related.

Choose at least 2 of the following:
1. Use three or more photos from a family event, cropped to fit your page design.
2. Use paper or supplies on your page that are at least a year old.
3. Use the word “tradition” in the title of your page.
4. Use hidden journaling in your page design.”


My husband and I have had several conversations about tradition. Rather I should say that we have discussed how to veer away from tradition. Don’t get me wrong! I think tradition is wonderful for most families. But we have watched happiness take second place in order to accomodate tradition. So we have chosen to understand tradition in a different way. And that’s exactly what my layout is all about!

First I have to tell you that I totally copied this layout idea from the fabulous Becky Fleck and PageMaps 2.  I fell in love with the elements and thoroughly enjoyed creating this page! Let me tell you how I used paint. I used two colors – burnt umber and just a drip of antique white to lighten the color. Don’t be afraid to mix your paints in order to get the color you like! I used a simple foam sponge to apply paint to various edges. It works as well as ink and you can achieve a wonderful distressed look. The paper flowers at the top are simply circles that I cut with my nestabilities. By crimping the edges a bit, you can get a little 3-D look.

This is my last layout as a DT member at Better Living through Scrapbooking.  It has been a great time of learning through these layouts, and I hope that those of you that are playing along have had a good time!

2 comments:

Dawnll said...

Love the definition- it can be taken in many ways. You do have one tradition- It is to love each other and remember that you are a special family.

Katie said...

Gorgeous layout. I love the take you took on the challenge.

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...