Friday, March 18, 2011

Adventure

Every time I make a man's card, I wonder why I don't make more of them.  I so love the flowers and all things pretty, but I really enjoy working with the warmth of masculine colors.  I combined three challenges for this card starting with the sketch from Get Sketchy -

Then I added the Stamping Royalty challenge (dry embossing) and The Cuttlebug Spot (dry embossing and twine).

I dry embossed a piece of paper with the Cracked Tim Holtz embossing folder.  From there I sanded the embossing with the Imaginisce de-stress tool, and then rolled the whole thing up into a tight little ball to give it even more of a worn look.  If you use this technique, you'll notice that the paper is really, really soft like leather. The trees and word are from an old, old (and long retired) CTMH stamp set - Hook, Line, and Sinker.  This twine is from Really Reasonable Ribbon

In order to achieve that look on the trees, I simply colored them with markers (olive and cocoa CTMH) and then breathed on them.  An old, old trick but still the one I like the best.  I stamped the word adventure in olive green ink and then rolled the bottom edge in cocoa.  I put the center tree on the card with foam circles to add just a little more dimension.

Thanks for visiting today!

9 comments:

Dale Tiernan said...

Very cool! I love making male cards too. I think it's harder to come up with ideas for them. Easy to reach for a flower or two.

Laurel said...

Wow, fabulous job!

Rufus said...

Male cards are def. tricky, but Very satisfying when you pull 'em off, as you did here! It's harder and makes ya think more!
R/

Marg Van Patten said...

Great card! Thanks for the tips!

StephC said...

I always struggle with masculine cards, but you do a fabulous job. I love everything about this card. Well done!

PapierGirl said...

Wonderful masculine card - I love all the techniques used!! Thanks for joining us this week at GS! :)

Hands On said...

Fantastic card for a man. Love it. Might have to case. Thanks for playing with Stampin' Royalty.

Unknown said...

Love it! That is one of my favorite all-time CTMH 'outdoorsy' stamp sets.

Georgeann Manning said...

What a clever card! wow! fantastic! Thanks for playing this weeks Stampin' Royalty Challenge!

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...