Sunday, April 19, 2009

All Things Grandpa

Grandpa Rose and Shane were best buds. They did everything together, and Grandpa did anything and everything for Shane. Jerry's dad died due to cancer 3-1/2 years ago, but I don't think that there are too many days that go by without this household thinking about him and mentioning something funny that he did.

The other day Jerry picked up a 3# chunk of bologna and sweet pickles. Well, anyway that knew Dad, knew that he loved ground meat. I told my mother-in-law that Jerry picked up the fixings for it, and she recalled how Grandpa would have to call Shane to come over when he was making it. Shane was the "crank turner" on the meat grinder. Sometimes Grandpa would have Shane grinding 5# or more whle standing on a chair! My MIL mentioned that to Grandpa, Shane could do no wrong - no matter what.

She's right. And I'm so glad that Shane had that in his life.

I've watched Shane serve when he was a waiter, I've listened to him on the phone as a manager, I've watched him at his job. I am so glad that he had Grandpa's influence early on to teach him that it's okay to talk to people - even when you don't know them. Jerry and I have many reasons to thank Grandpa when it comes to Shane's confidence.

And now as I watch Jerry grow more and more like his Dad every day, I see him him give Shane the same leeway that Grandpa did. You know, Shane is going to be 20 years old in a week. He has a great job, and has comes into his own.

The men in his life have tremendously influenced him, and I'm so grateful for that. What a blessing!

No comments:

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...