Monday, July 20, 2009

Stroll for Epilepsy, August 13th



It is only 3-1/2 weeks away to the Stroll for Epilepsy. What a wonderful event! The money raised at the stroll is going to the non-profit organization Epilepsy Foundation of MN. Let me copy over exactly what they are doing with the funds raised:

The Epilepsy Foundation of Minnesota will ensure that people with seizures are able to participate in all life experiences; and will prevent, control and cure epilepsy through services, education, advocacy and research.
Oh, what a fabulous thing! If I could refer to myself for a minute, my happy and blessed life has depended on this work. Without constant research, I would not have my VNS implant. I would not have the option of new medications.

Do you know that back when I was diagnosed in 1977, it was still unmentionable if you had epilepsy. Even back then, I could never understand. I know now that still in the 60's and 70's, people tied epilepsy together with mental illness. How very sad it must have been for someone in my family in an older generation (because surely there was someone - it seems to be hereditary in my family) to either be committed or sentenced to a life of shame due to epilepsy.

I have seen many changes in research, medications, and surgeries over the last 32 years. Gosh, in 1977, there were just a few seizure medications. None of them worked for me, but I was blessed to be researched even back then at the U of M, and be put on a new one that I still take today to control grand mal or tonic clonic seizures.

So I stroll. I never want anyone to live alone with this condition. I never want anyone with epilepsy to even feel alone because they have seizures. I want children to be educated in the schools so that kids with seizure disorders are not teased. Most of all, I want research to continue, advocacy to have it's place, and I want there to be plenty of services available. That sounds like a tall order! But I believe it can all be done.

I've mentioned this site before - Talk About It - but it bears mentioning again. Check out all the Hollywood stars that are lending their voices to this cause.

If the link at the top is not working for some reason, you can click here and go directly to my First Giving page. All contributions are tax deductible and you will receive a receipt. Thanks for your consideration in helping me and so many others. I appreciate you!!

No comments:

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...