Saturday, June 23, 2012

Soar

I was supposed to spend the day at 12-hour crop today, but something came up in our house and I wasn't able to leave.  Cars can be very frustrating when they end up in the shop!  So I decided that I would still spend that much time in my craft room, and I've been doing just that.  I've got piles of layouts that need to go into albums so I started sorting for that project.  But I also wanted to make my team Stamp of the Month cards for July.  Those that are participating in a challenge will be receiving this card form me next week.


I wish I could tell you where to find this pattern.  I received a card with these cuts several years ago, and I made a pattern from the card and have been using the pattern periodically.  So let me tell you what I did.

  • Start with a 5-1/2x11 piece of cardstock
  • Measuring 1" from the long edge and make a cut from the 1" mark to the 6-1/2" mark.  Do that on both long edges.  I will tell you that the handiest tool on the block for measuring this way is the CTMH clear ruler. Do you see the + sign on the ruler?  Those are 1" marks, so it was easy to line up the ruler to the edge of the paper and use my craft knife to make the cut while still being able to use the ruler.
  
  • Next score from the edge to cut at 1", 2", and 6-1/2" on both sides.  Score in the center of the cuts at 5-1/2".
From there, you can decorate as you'd like!  This card looks very different from the original, so the sky is the  limit.   I've used Lucy paper with matching embellishments.  I cut the butterfly and layer using the Art Philosophy cartridge.  To make it form, I gave it a thin layer of clear paint and then shaped the wings with a pencil.  Now, it's time to get back to creating in this very messy craft room of mine!

Frosted Designs is having a challenge to create your own embellishments, and that is just what I did with the butterfly, so I will enter this in that challenge.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What an absolutely beautiful card. Your team members are very lucky. Sorry about your crop. Darn!

Lynn said...

Oh my what a beautiful card. How excited to know I will be receiving one of these lovelies. I really like how you "popped" the butterfly.

Paula said...

Very pretty center-stair-step card, Brenda! I have a template for one, but it's a smaller version, because it starts with a 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" piece, instead of the 11", and the score lines are slightly different due to the smaller size, but I was able to understand and follow your directions, perfectly! TFS!

BrendaB said...

Gorgeous card, Brenda! Thanks for joining us at Frosted Designs.

Ashley Horton said...

This card is so gorgeous Brenda!! I love the colors and the way you wrapped the twine! And that butterfly is really stunning!! Thanks for playing along with us @ Frosted Designs this week!! :)

Marg Van Patten said...

Oh I can't wait to see this one up close! Thanks for the instructions. The CTMH clear ruler makes this one a cinch. Love having you as my upline!

Sarah said...

This card is gorgeous! I hope your car gets fixed without too many troubles! The butterfly you made is awesome! So glad you could join us @ Frosted Designs!

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...