Monday, May 6, 2013

Muslin Bag

I am teaching a class tonight and tomorrow night on misting with the Close To My Heart spray pens.  I wanted to show other examples of what can be done with this fabulous tool, and this is just one of my other ideas.


I misted one of our muslin bags using a mixture of alcohol, desert sand re-inker, and water.  I have found that the alcohol helps the mist "set" and dry just a little faster.  The base color is vintage-y because I wanted to use these great stamps from the Fabulous You stamp set.  If you look closely, you see I've stamped a harlequin pattern in the background using creme brulee pigment ink.  I used cocoa pigment ink to stamp the bird stamp and sentiment.  Pigment is pretty important, I think, when stamping on these bags.  You get just a little more definition and richer color.  Pigment is not an instant dry like dye ink, but by the time I got the harlequin stamp cleaned, I was ready to stamp the bird.

Now, to color the bird and flowers, I used alcohol markers.  Before coloring, I slide two pieces of white scrap paper inside the bag.  Alcohol markers will seep through, so you want to make sure that you are protecting your piece.  I used blush, sorbet, and indian corn blue markers.  That looks just like the little bluebird from my backyard.  

What a fun little gift bag to give to a friend!!

Pin It

2 comments:

Romaine said...

This turned out so pretty! I used the regular ink and it worked nicely too! The image you used is fabulous!

Unknown said...

What a fun idea. I would have never thought to spritz on the muslin bags. It turned out beautifully!

New Book, New Look!

Sometimes it just that time to make a change.  I've had this blog you are visiting for 12 years!  Wow, that's a lot of post and a lo...